Advanced Engine Development Test Center (AEDTC)
EMD (Electro-Motive Diesel) - La Grange, IL
Project Features: Expansion, Technology Center, Design & Construction Services, Skidded Equipment
ACS provided single source, turnkey delivery of a new development test center for EMD, a locomotive engine manufacturer in La Grange, IL. The 26,000SF facility is used for new product development as well as development and testing of aftertreatment systems (ATS) to meet Tier 4 and higher emissions requirements. The two test cells are capable of handling diesel engines up to 8000HP, with capabilities for alternative fuels.
Key Performance Features:
- Two cells, each capable of running engines up to 8000HP
- Engine support systems including, Lube Oil, Fuel Conditioning, EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), Inter Cooler, After Cooler, Jacket Water, Engine Exhaust
- Synchronous Generator Dynamometer 6000KW
- EMD and ACS commissioning team worked side-by-side to accomplish an aggressive commissioning schedule
- Load bank installation challenges minimized by conducting a field visit to the supplier manufacturing facility to witness and identify potential field challenges
- Creation of 3-D model of the facility allowed offsite fabrication of mechanical pipe and ductwork in controlled shop conditions while concrete and steel work was in progress onsite. Result was better trade coordination, fewer change orders, and cost savings
- Precast concrete walls to meet the aggressive construction schedule
- Cell ventilation system capable of air flow up to 200,000 cfm
ACS held a single-source contract for design and construction management; equipment specification, procurement and installation; integration of equipment and facility systems; and commissioning.