Containerized Test Cell for Engine Durability Testing
Diesel Forward - Windsor, WI
Project Features: Container, Engine Dynamometer (Dyno), Fuel System, Cart, Engine Stand
ACS designed and built a containerized engine test cell, customized to the client’s testing requirements and range of products. Diesel Forward, our customer for this project, is an aftermarket parts manufacturer and distributor. They required increased levels of test documentation to support their new and existing products.
- Typical test = 1000 hour durability
- 55 minutes at full rate power, 5 minutes at idle
- Mounted dyno, engine stand and fuel system
- System controls, data acquisition and controls are mounted at the other, in a separate room
- Utilizes a custom 22-channel National Instruments data acquisition system, records:
- Incoming air pressure and temperature
- Fuel temperature, flow in/out
- Measures engine RPM and torque
- Multiple other parameters
- Determines fuel consumption, brake horsepower
The client was looking for an economical, portable way to improve their products by conducting long durability tests. Off-the-shelf containerized test cells did not align with their exact needs and included added costs for capabilities in excess of their project requirements. Outsourcing the test was being considered, but not seen as a viable option.
By creating systems that were specifically tailored to the client’s design needs, ACS provided a custom solution that met all requirements while staying with budget and lead time constraints. A standard shipping container was modified to increase its load bearing capabilities and clearance for penetrations. To minimize costs, manual systems were selected over fully automated solutions. Since high load, long duration durability tests were to be run, an AC regenerative dynamometer was chosen to provide electrical power to run the client’s production facility. ACS supported the client with engineering services by working with local permitting agencies to ensure proper project approvals were obtained and contractor installation was successful. As part of onsite commissioning: final testing, adjusting and balancing was performed by ACS to confirm systems met design requirements and the client fully understood the operation of the test cell.
This project illustrates what our customers tell us are the key benefits of working with ACS:
- Technical Expertise
- Integrated Facility and Equipment
- Customization to Client’s Unique Requirements
- Flexible Project Execution
- Accountability for Performance