Generac R&D Lab Renovation
Generac Power Systems - Waukesha, WI
Project Features: Alternator, Component Test, Transfer Switch Lab, Electronics Lab, Equipment Procurement & Integration, Preconstruction & Construction Management, Commissioning
ACS designed and built the research and development space for Generac Power Systems, Inc. The renovation was transformed into a “like new” space previously used for manufacturing. ACS used critical chain methodology to manage scheduling and complexity of working in an operating facility.
Scope of Work:
In support of Generac’s strategic vision of a world-class R&D facility, ACS provided initial planning and project development services to fully define Generac’s testing and facility requirements. ACS developed a total project budget and program schedule that became the basis for approval of the capital investment. ACS was awarded contracts for all phases of the project including pre-construction services, construction management, equipment procurement and integration and commissioning.
Construction of three labs (Alternator Lab, Transfer Switch Lab, and Electronics Lab) to support the development and testing of new and existing products, including Generac’s standby power generators.
Extensive refurbishment of masonry walls and steel building columns:
- Several coats of chipped paint were removed from the columns to expose the bare metal
- Holes and imperfections in the columns from years of supporting cord reels, jib cranes, signage, and equipment were filled and sanded smooth and the columns were repainted
- Cracked blocks were removed and replaced
- Chipped corners and other defects were filled and smoothed
- Edges of precast planks bearing on the concrete masonry unit (CMU) walls were skim-coated and joints troweled in to give the appearance of a uniform and continuous CMU wall
The space was transformed to meet the goal of looking as if it were new construction.