High-Horsepower Technical Center/Engine Plant
Cummins - Seymour, IN
Project Features: Expansion, Renovation, R&D and Production Test, Engine Staging & Build-up, Offices
Turnkey project consisted of a technical center addition to an existing manufacturing facility, including two new mechanical development test cells and renovation of four existing cells, all to support development of high horsepower diesel engines.
The technical center expansion almost doubles the previous high horsepower development space in the facility and increases Cummins’ high-horsepower mechanical development capability. Scaling up test support systems and building infrastructure to accommodate such large engines meant in-depth analysis of current systems and accurate projections of future requirements. Existing production facility continued to operate during construction requiring coordination of shut downs and tie-ins.
Key Performance Features:
- Two new mechanical development cells for diesel engines 3,000 – 7,000 Hp and expandable to fully-instrumented emissions and performance applications
- Automated docking systems for the 40,000 lb engine
- To shorten test article change out time, engine carts include an interface panel, allowing for pre-rigging and pre-wiring, easy connection when docked, and maximum test cell utilization
- Four test cells located in the original facility were renovated and upgraded, within the same envelope, to accommodate high horsepower testing. Each received power distribution and data acquisition upgrades
- Cooling tower replacement and upgrade to accommodate future expansion
- Fuel farm upgraded into a central supply system
- Lube oil and glycol upgraded to increase capacity and performance to the test cells
- A 200,000 cfm air handling system maintains cell temperature even during extended test cycles
ACS held a single-source contract for design and construction management; equipment specification, procurement and installation; integration of equipment and facility systems; and commissioning.