North American Engine Manufacturing & Test Facility
MTU-America - Aiken, SC
Project Features: Engine Assembly, Engine Test, Production Test, Dyno, Renovation, Expansion, Dynamometer
ACS provided design, construction, equipment, integration and commissioning services for the relocation of MTU America’s North American engine assembly and testing operation from Redford, MI to Aiken, SC. The facility is used to assemble Series 2000 and Series 4000 diesel engines used in marine, mining and rail applications as well as construction equipment and power generation.
The project required an 18,500 SF building addition for test cells, control rooms and a utility corridor along with the remodel of an existing 200,000 SF facility. The facility includes a mix of both relocated test equipment and new equipment provided by ACS.
Key Performance Features:
- Universal driveline and fluid systems layout allows for testing of all current and some future engine models in the same cell
- Large cell footprint and layout allows for future flexibility and engine configurations
- Future expansion capabilities built into all systems for adding additional test cells
- High ceilings, powerful lighting and under floor utilities creates a safe working environment for cell operators
- Common utility corridor keeps test cells organized and reduces the number of systems required inside the cells
ACS held a single-source contract for design and construction management; equipment specification, procurement and installation; integration of equipment and facility systems; and, commissioning.